All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Rajkot in Gujarat is one amongst the several new AIIMS, being established under the Ptradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna (PMSSY) of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. AIIMS, Rajkot has objectives to reduce the “gaps” in affordable tertiary health care, and to generate ‘wellness’ amongst the general population. AIIMS, Rajkot is under the phase six of the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna (PMSSY). AIIMS Rajkot shall be a 750 bedded hospital with multiple speciality as well as superspeciality departments. The Project cost of construction is about Rs. 1195 Crores, which includes an allocation of Rs. 185 Crores towards state-of-the art medical equipment. The Government of Gujarat has allotted about 201 Acres of Land for the project and shall take care of access roads, water facilities and provision of electricity connection.
The trinity of the mission of the Institute is:
(1) Education of diverse health professionals
(2) Research in biomedical sciences; and
(3) Patient care at the highest care level
The Objectives of AIIMS are mentioned in the AIIMS Act 1956 (as amended)
1. To develop pattern of teaching in under-graduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
2. To bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of personnel in all branches of health activities.
3. To attain self-sufficiency in post-graduate medical education